Wednesday 7 October 2015

Porto Alegre, Brazil

Sept 26-27

A 28 hour bus journey along the coast, where the weather gradually got more rainy and cold, landed me in Porto Alegre (which was essentially just a stop over on the way to Uruguay, as anything more than 28 hours on a bus seemed torturous) 

My expectations for Porto Alegre were low; I wasn't even really intending to stop there until it became apparent that I kind of had to. But, somehow, it wasn't as bad as I thought. There were a lot of shady people. I felt like every single person was staring me down, I saw countless people talking to themselves and even one lady talking to a statue. Despite the people on the street talking non-stop, no one in my hostel seemed to talk at all. Strange. But between the odd people and the dirty streets, I did also find some cool places.
My first afternoon I explored the Central part of the city. I started at the Mercado Publico; a market stoked full of fruit, veg, meat, spices, flowers, books and crafts as well as cafés and restaurants. 
Alfandega Square was a nice little spot, usually full of market stalls..however I think the rain scared them away. Many of the buildings around the square were well kept and colourful!
I found some pretty buildings including City Hall and Nossa Sehora das Dores Church. 
The prettiest of them all was Mario Quinyana Cultural House, which used to be a hotel inhibited by one of Brazil's most famous poets, whom it is now named after. 
I saw the "famous" Usina do Gasometro.
The Metropolitan Cathedral was quite beautiful also. 
My last stop for the day was Otavio Rocha Overpass, offering nice views of the city in each direction. 
After all this I still somehow managed to find a few things to entertain myself on day two! I started off with a run around Redemption Park, named as a reminder of the year 1884, when Porto Alegre was the first city in Brazil to abolish slavery. After brekkie and a shower I returned to the park for the handicraft fair and flea market. An interesting assortment of junk and crafts! 
I found a little street that some Portugese tree activist pronounced "The most beautiful street in the world"... It was nice, but I think perhaps he was a little high when he declared this. Maybe it's nicer when the trees are greener or when the sun is out. Who knows.
I spent most of my afternoon relaxing in another park, reading my book. The sun almost came out from behind the clouds. And then when the grey skies took over I retreated to my hostel, resting up for yet another overnight bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment