Friday 9 October 2015

Colonia Del Sacremento, Uruguay

Sept 29-30

A one night stay was plenty of time to explore this little gem. And 'little' is an understatement... Colonia is tiny. But beautiful! 
I spent my time in Colonia roaming the quaint and colourful tree-lined streets. 
The city used to be closed in by a wall, with the draw bridge and gate still standing today, thanks to much restoration. 
I went into a "tile museum" claiming to show off tiles from the history of Colonia, but it was just two tiny rooms with a couple of tiles here and there. Luckily, I managed to get in there for free! 
There was a lighthouse which promised a stunning view, but sadly they were closed for restoration.
The dock and coastline were pretty.
In keeping with the 'Old Town' theme, many of the cars were near ancient. Some were still functioning, but there were also many used as decoration. 
I visited the outdoor markets and used the last of my Uruguayan pesos to buy myself a new pair of earrings!
A lovely little town to roam around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment