Sunday 31 May 2015

Livingston, Guatemala

May 28-29

Livingston is a really interesting place... A strange mix of Guatemala and Belize - which are such different places. It is a little town situated right where the river meets the sea, up on the Carribean coast. However the beaches are disgusting- incredibly littered. There are some nicer ones slightly out of town. One pretty cool thing about Livingston is that it's only accessible by boat, there are no roads leading out. 

My first afternoon in Livingston I got my bearings and relaxed in a hammock (had to get out of the sun..so hot!)

In the morning I went on a little boat tour. Being on my own, I was hoping (and assuming) that I would meet other people on this tour - but I was the only one! First I was taken to Seven Altars which was a bit like Semuc Champey but not as impressive. There were a series of little pools connected by waterfalls. A nice walk!


Then we went to Playa Blanca (meaning 'white beach' because of the sand) It was certainly much nicer than the beaches in Livingston, largely because it is regularly cleaned - for this reason you have to pay an entrance fee. I had a wander along the water and it is quite clear where the maintenance stops! So much litter...


Returning around lunchtime, I decided there wasn't much else to see in Livingston & organised to get a boat that afternoon to Rio Dulce, which is just down the river. I was told it was a 'scenic' boat that made a few stops, but I think I was on the return trip, with all the people who'd already done the sights... So it just went straight to Rio Dulce. Quite pretty though, going through the jungle by boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment